As more people have sought complementary therapies for themselves, so too have more parents turned to reflexology for their children.
Reflexology can be very effective in treating a wide range of childhood ailments, and can be used on babies right through to teenagers. For children who may find a visit to the doctor frightening or intimidating, reflexology offers a ‘safe’ alternative, where they may even end up having fun in the process!
Reflexology also helps to give a child the opportunity to develop a greater awareness of their body, which can have a positive impact on their self-esteem. A reflexologist can also show the parent, and even the child, the techniques used, so that they can easily continue treatment at home or away.
A number of common childhood ailments that may be helped by reflexology include:
- Skin problems (such as eczema, dermatitis and acne)
- Bed wetting
- Re-occurring infections
- Ear problems (such as glue ear)
- Sleep disorders
- Respiratory problems, including coughs and colds, and asthma
- Emotional problems
- Hormonal problems during puberty
- Developmental difficultiesAs children tend to enjoy physical contact and the feeling of being nurtured, they usually get used to reflexology quite quickly, particularly if a parent is giving the treatment. Reflexology can therefore have both physical and emotional benefits, as the parent-child bond is strengthened while the child’s ailment is relieved.
Your child’s reflexologist will put them at ease before treatment begins, but you can also help to prepare your child for their first reflexology session.
For a young child, you might encourage them to bring a favourite toy or teddy bear along, so that they can give it ‘treatment’ at the same time. Older children will appreciate an explanation of what reflexology is, and maybe some examples of how it has helped you or other people you know. You could even show them a reflexology foot chart to help them begin to understand the process.
If your child finds a visit to the doctor frightening, or if they are suffering from something that traditional medicine has not seemed to solve, reflexology may just be the answer you have both been looking for.